Friday, May 28, 2010

Backyard Pumpkin Patch


We are all so excited about our little pumpkin patch that sprung up. Last year, after carving pumpkins, I think we may have shook off the table cloth in the backyard. As the grass started to grow this year I noticed some large leaf plants growing and upon further inspection found one of the leaves to still have a pumpkin seed attached. So now Ethen mows around the plants and they are getting bigger everyday. They look like they will flower soon and then hopefully grow us some pumpkins this year!!!! Five plants sprouted all on their own. We'll keep you posted on the progress. I;m already starting to think of other seeds we should just throw out in the backyard :)

3 comments:

hydeeann said...

LOVE the beautiful monotone green photo! what a fun surprise to find in your yard. i adore volunteer plants. we actually have a cottonwood tree that is now taller than our house that just sprung up in the yard about 4 years ago. it's great! don't think we have anything edible pop up, though.

Alana, Brian, Hailey & Dakota said...

That is awesome!! I'm so glad you're letting them go for it too! They will totally vine out, so be sure to cut back some of the vines and though it may kill you, only let a few pumpkins grow on each plant, cause then they'll get bigger. I'm sure there's tons of info about how to do it online! Your grass looks awesome!!

Amanda said...

That is great. My pumpkin plants are huge and have taken over my garden. I should have planted them in the grass :)