Tuesday, August 26, 2008

That's Life

With my two older kids off to school I am realizing that I am now missing two extra pairs of eyes during the day to warn me of things before they become huge messes. I was also thinking this week that Luke is starting to grow out of his capacity to do things that make unreasonable messes. This links back to sentence #1, where now I am thinking he just hasn't had the opportunity. Paisley has been the one getting into things lately, but today Luke managed a few disasters of his own again. I wish I had pictures to document this, but my camera is broken. Anyway today he opened a great smelling bottle of vanilla lotion and poured it all over his carpet. I walked in on him doing it and he couldn't tell me why he was doing it. I really think he was just enjoying the squiggly designs he was making all over. I was proud of myself for not losing it and getting all mad at him, but told him to sit on his bed while I went to get things to clean it up. In the time it took me to get the rags he had taken a large stuffed animal and smeared it with a pile of the lotion. This is an antique one that can't be washed so I had that to clean up now too. At least the lotion was white and now it smells really good in there. Earlier in the day, while I was picking up some bottles that Paisley had taken out of the bathroom cupboard, Luke thought it would be fun to squeeze out a tube of foot scrub onto my carpet. Luckily I was right there when this started happening and it didn't get soaked into the carpet at all. I have learned today that it takes NO time to smash lotions out of bottles. He also had a good time today chewing up some cheese crackers and spitting them back into a cup of water and then mixing it all up to make a mess that looked really disgusting, but only spilled a little of this. So that is life with a 3 year old.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

hmmm, I am thinking of watching him and Paisley at the lake house squeezing capri sun on themselves. I think they like squeezing things. i am trying to think of a toy that they can squeeze and get it out of their system. I am not having luck thinking of one, at least one that isn't messy

Unknown said...

AHHHHH the fun of age 3. Quietly remember that he must be very creative. That's what I think of at least. My son recently took all of our staplers apart. He was just curious. It's a good thing they are cute.

Sarah said...

you should be proud of yourself for not getting mad! go momma! i don't think i'd be that patient. :) christopher's favorite thing to do at the table, while i'm not looking, it stuff food in his drink. he claims he's making a "shake" :)

the Kargis Family said...

Your world sounds very similar to mine. On one hand I am happy to not have my older ones telling on the younger ones every 5 seconds, but it is always nice to make my older ones go check on the younger ones. now that they are in school, I have to do my own checking if it gets too quiet for more than 5 seconds.

Mary Perriton said...

Oh, man! What more can I say?!... This too shall pass! And with the passing of time, you really will miraculously forget all the hard days. Love, Mom

Mommymita said...

That may have been picture worthy but it may have gummed up your camera. Also just be glad you are not trying to sell house

Suzette said...

I love it! This post made my day. In moments like this, I have to just be grateful no one got hurt (which has happened before as well)! Unfortunately for me, I haven't found a way to prevent these sort of things from happening. Great job at keeping your cool!

Wendy said...

If it makes you feel any better, you made me laugh! You gotta love the toddler days.

Alana, Brian, Hailey & Dakota said...

I guess they can't stay away from the goo. Didn't you get into a jar of peanut butter once and have it everywhere in 2 seconds flat??